Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Day 11 of Dr. Fuhrman 10 in 20: Berry Bowl, Sweet Kale Salad, Easy Vegetable Pizza


Fresh Berry Bowl with Flax, Walnuts, and  Almond Milk
Back home from my trip to Oregon, and back on plan :)

Breakfast: Berry Bowl

1 ½ cups blueberries, strawberries, blackberries  and/or raspberries
1 banana, sliced
¼ cup unsweetened, unflavored or vanilla soy, hemp or almond milk
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds

Top berries and banana with non-dairy milk and sprinkle with the walnuts and flax or chia seeds.

Score: 9.5/10

This is a repeat from Day 2 (click here to see it). This time I made it slightly different. I had chopped walnuts, so I used those instead of substituting pecans (like last time).  I had fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries... so good! Last time I had fresh strawberries and frozen blueberries. Both ways were tasty. I know I've said this before, but I'm saying it again. I love fruit.

Yum!

Here's the salad unmixed with most of the ingredients off to the side. The apple got cropped out, just know that it was there in all its pink lady glory ;)
Lunch: Sweet Kale
5 cups chopped kale, tough stems and center ribs removed 
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
1 small apple, cored and sliced 
1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds 
1 tablespoon raisins 
½ avocado, peeled and chopped 
Balsamic or fig-flavored vinegar 

Toss together all ingredients except vinegar. Finish with a splash  of vinegar.  Salad

Score: 6.5/10

This salad was alright. Good, but not great. I am not a huge fan of straight up kale salads anyway. The Sweet Kale Salad Mix by Eat Smart (we usually get it at Costco) is an exception. That salad does have a creamy poppy seed dressing going for it. This salad had a nice mix of sweet and sour. The acid from the lemon and vinegar balanced out the sweet apple and raisins. It could've used some more avocado. I didn't even know it was there most of the time. Also, 5 cups is a lot of kale. I got a bit burned out and wasn't able to finish the last bit of salad.


Another Veggie Pizza with Multigrain Flatbread Crust

Dinner: Easy Vegetable Pizza  (supposed to be Lazy Lentils)

1 large (100% whole grain) tortilla or pita 
½ cup low sodium pasta sauce 
¼ cup chopped mushrooms 
¼ cup chopped red onion 
½ of a medium tomato, chopped 
1-2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, cubed 
1 Tablespoon dried basil

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place tortilla on a baking sheet and warm for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining ingredients. Bake for 30 minutes.

Score: 9/10

So, I keep making different variations of this pizza, because I keep craving pizza! This time I used Flatout brand flatbread (the Multigrain with Flax). It's only 100 calories, has 9 g of protien, 8 g of fiber and only 1 g of sugar. Not too shabby. It was crispy everywhere except the middle when I took it out of the oven. I put a lot of sauce and fresh tomatoes on top. I think that's what made it soggy. The sauce I used, Classico Riserva Roasted Garlic, had big chunks of delicious roasted garlic in it. The ingredient list on the sauce is pretty short. There's no added sugar, just tomatoes, roasted garlic, extra virgin olive oil, spices and sea salt. 

1 comment:

  1. About the kale salad--the lemon juice and avocado should be added the chopped kale first. Then MASSAGE them into the kale until the kale softens and wilts (takes maybe 60 seconds). That improves the texture and flavor of the kale considerably and "dresses" the kale. Then stir in remaining ingredients (apple, sunflower seeds, raisins and vinegar). I am really surprised that the recipe does not say to do it this way. Kale is a tough green; massaging it really helps break it down and make it easier to eat and digest.

    ReplyDelete

Translate