Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Day 2 of Dr. Fuhrman 10 in 20: Berry Bowl...

Berry Bowl with strawberries, blueberries, banana, pecans, flax and chia seed (added the chia later)
Breakfast: Berry Bowl

1 ½ cups fresh (or thawed frozen) blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and/or raspberries
1 banana, sliced
¼ cup unsweetened, unflavored or vanilla soy, hemp or  almond milk
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds

Top berries and sliced banana with non-dairy milk and sprinkle with walnuts and the flax or chia seeds.

Okay, I really thought just fruit, almond milk, some nuts and some seeds wouldn't be enough for me. This breakfast actually stuck with me for a long while. I ate it at about 11:30 am, almost lunch time! It was so easy, not sure why it took me so long to eat breakfast. This ended up being a good thing because I didn't end up eating breakfast or dinner.

I liked this a lot. I'd definitely have this again. Of course, I love having fruit for breakfast and that's basically all this is.

Score: 9.5/10 
After adding the fruit, nuts, flax and chia

After adding the almond milk

Another pic of the berry bowl, because why not :)
Alright, I think I put off breakfast partly because I didn't have almond milk on hand. Luckily, I'd soaked almonds overnight, so all I had to do was throw them in my Soyajoy with some water. Thank you mom for giving this to me years ago. If I had to make it in my vitamix with a nutbag, it probably wouldn't happen. I tried to figure out if homemade almond milk is cost effective. Actually after trying to remember how much I spent for my almonds, I just googled it. According to a website called Dont Waste the Crumbs, a quart of homemade almond milk costs $1.41 if you buy almonds at $4.23/lb (link to article here). Since it's just a cup to a cup and a half of almonds, some water, salt and sweetener (if you add that), not too complicated.

I made almond okara (pulp) cookies with coconut. The intent was to mitigate waste and provide a healthy-ish post-workout treat for my workout group. I had to make sure they weren't disgusting so I tasted one... which turned into 3! Totally off plan.

My Soyajoy! Thanks Mom for blessing my life with homemade almond milk
It was a beautiful day outside, so after getting Avery to and from preschool, the gym, grocery shopping, etc, we spent some time outside. I did this knowing that Avery needed it (and I promised her that we would, so gotta follow through). I also did this knowing I'd not fixed my lunch yet. After Andrew got home we went over to costco and didn't get back until about 8:15 pm. I wasn't about to try to fix either the kale salad or the zucchini pasta!



Blossoms on our apple tree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate