Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day 5 of Dr. Fuhrman 10 in 20: Apple Pie Oatmeal, Creamy Kale and Mushroom Casserole


Breakfast: Apple Pie Oatmeal

¼ cup old fashioned or steel cut oats 
½ cup water 
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced 
dash cinnamon 
1-2 tablespoons raisins or currants 
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts 

Combine oats and water in a small pot, bring to a boil, then  reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. 
Note: If using steel cut oats, double the amount of water and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. 

Score: 9.5/10

Well, since I love to cheat a bit, I used almond milk in place of the water. This was very satisfying. Liked it a lot.

Lunch was supposed to be black bean lettuce bundles, but I missed it. I ate breakfast, dropped Avery off at preschool, and hiked up near the Y in Provo with my exercise buddies. It was beautiful. On the way there I drank a protein shake. By the time I got home with Avery it was 2:45 pm. Our friends came over and stayed until 5 pm. So, I just ate dinner.


Dinner: Creamy Kale and Mushroom Casserole 

4 servings 
½ cup raw cashews or ¼ cup raw cashew butter 
1 cup unsweetened, unflavored soy, hemp or almond milk 
2 cups small fresh or frozen broccoli florets 
1 cup chopped mushrooms 
1 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped (see note)
2 cups chopped kale, tough stems removed 
1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning blend such as Mrs. Dash 
1 teaspoon onion powder 
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend the cashews and non-dairy milk until creamy. Add to a 9x13 inch oven-proof baking dish along with broccoli, mushrooms, artichokes, kale, and seasonings. Bake for 40 minutes. 
Note: Frozen Brussels sprouts may be substituted for the  artichoke hearts

Score: 9/10

This was better than I thought it would be. The cashew cream stuff added a lot to the casserole. A sprinkle of nutritional yeast might be good on this. The only complaint I had was the serving size. As you can see in the photo above, there's not a ton in my bowl. This is probably due to the cashew and almond milk mixture. I should've had a salad in addition. Instead, I just ate some strawberries and called it a night.

Casserole before it went into the oven


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate