Thursday, April 13, 2017

Day 3 of Dr. Fuhrman 10 in 20: Orange and Kale Smoothie, Hummus Wrap, Tailgate Chili


Orange and Kale Smoothie in a bottle, ready to take to the gym :)
Breakfast: Orange and Kale Smoothie

1 ½ cups kale
1 apple, cored and sliced 
1 navel orange, peeled (I use 3 clementines)
½ lemon 
1 tablespoon flax seeds 
2-3 ice cubes 
Water as needed for desired consistency

Blend ingredients in a high-powered blender

I had to take this to the gym with me since I was running late this morning. The bottle I pulled out didn't fit all of the smoothie, so I drank some before I left. Avery thought the little glass was for her and got excited, but as she got closer to it, she decided not to drink it. Probably a good thing, she likes green smoothies, but I put in a little extra kale you could taste it! Overall, this was very good. Tasted very green and fresh. Without the extra kale I put in and a bit more orange, this would've been even better.

Score: 9/10


Here's the leftover smoothie that didn't fit in my bottle. Check out that color!

Hummus Wrap
Lunch: Hummus Wrap

1 large (100% whole grain) tortilla
3 tablespoons hummus  
½ cup chopped romaine
½ cup sliced tomatoes
2 slices  red onion 
Splash balsamic vinegar 

Spread hummus on the wrap, top with chopped romaine, diced tomatoes, sliced red onion and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

So, I used the whole wheat pitas that I already have instead of a tortillas and switched out the romaine with spinach. The raw red onion was strong. I might have used too much. The balsamic vinegar was also strong. Not bad. On the plus side, it was simple and quick.

Score: 7.5/10

Tailgate Chili

Dinner: Tailgate Chili

5 servings 

½ cup uncooked bulgur or quinoa 
1 cup water 
3 cups chopped onions 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
2 green bell peppers, chopped 
26 ounces low sodium diced tomatoes 
3 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, no salt added or  low sodium, rinsed and drained 
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels 
2 tablespoons chili powder 
2 teaspoons ground cumin 

Combine bulgur or quinoa and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, heat 1∕8 cup water in a large saucepan and water sauté onions and garlic until almost soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in green peppers and sauté an additional 3 minutes, adding more water  as needed. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder  and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for  20 minutes. Add bulgur or quinoa and simmer for an additional  5 minutes.

This chili was good. Very filling. Definitely tasted healthier and more bland than regular chili. The recipe made quite a bit. I replaced one of the cans of kidney beans with black beans and added some smoked paprika. I'll probably need to freeze some of this. Not sure how many days in a row I want to eat it. 

Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate