Sunday, May 7, 2017

Okonomiyaki at Mom's

Mom's Okonomiyaki (Osaka Style)

My daughter Avery and I are up visiting my parents for a bit. The plan was to continue Dr. Fuhrman's 10 in 20. However, best laid plans, and all that...

So, we made okonomiyaki for dinner. It was yummy. There are several ways to make these Japanese cabbage pancakes. In fact, I believe okonomiyaki means "how you like it". Talk about adaptable. We talked about trying them two ways, chopped (Kansai or Osaka style) and layered (Hiroshima style). This didn't happen. My mom usually makes them with a whole bunch of veggies chopped up in a batter (Osaka style), so that's what we did. I tried to snap a quick picture of them cooking away on the skillet, but failed miserably and got this blurry mess of a picture:


My parents have been to Japan and enjoyed the okonomiyaki there. My little bro lived in Tokyo for a few years (as a missionary) and he loves these as well. I don't think my mom put bacon in these, and I know she didn't use any bacon grease, but that's in the recipe she gave me when I asked for it. Either way they were good.

Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancakes)

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups dashi or low-sodium chicken stock
4 eggs, beaten
8 cups finely chopped cabbage
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 medium zucchini, grated
8 scallions, sliced, divided (sliced tops saved for garnish)
Kosher salt, to taste
4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (reserve grease)
Olive oil

Kewpie Mayonnaise
Okonomi sauce
Pickled ginger

Directions:
Combine first set of ingredients.  Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (or reserved bacon grease) in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add some of the batter, gently pushing the batter down with a spatula until flattened. Cook until underside is browned, about 4 minutes, Gently flip the pancake and cook about 5 more minutes, or until the cooked through. Serve immediately with mayonnaise, okonomiyaki sauce, pickled ginger, and scallion greens. Repeat with remaining pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate