Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Green Smoothie Cleanse - Willow's Day One


This morning started off in a rush. Since Andrew decided to be supportive and do this thing with us, I had to blend up a TON of smoothie. I packed two different kinds for Andrew to take to work: Our Signature Green Smoothie (actually green, see above pictures) and a Cherry Coconut Green Smoothie.

In order to avoid the dreaded smoothie separation that tends to happen when a smoothie sits, I decided to put Andrew's smoothies into shaker bottles (yes, they are usually for protein powder drinks made on the go). Andrew finished off one of the bottles by the time we got to his office. This worked out well. I was able to take the bottle home, wash it, and use it again to bring him another smoothie later on in the day - another green one.

I drank the leftover smoothie that didn't fit into Andrew's shaker bottles. However, it didn't come close to the gallon that we are supposed to drink for the day.  Since I was out and about most of the day, I did buy a Berry UpBeet smoothie from Jamba Juice. In between appointments*, working out, and bathroom breaks... and I mean a lot of bathroom breaks... I was able to make the Green Smoothie Girl's Hot Pink smoothie. I decided to double the recipe and ended up reaching the max fill line on my Vitamix.

When Andrew got off work it was almost 7pm. This was the first time that I really started thinking about food. I didn't feel hungry, but I caught myself thinking about what we would have for dinner... oh, yeah, that's right, smoothie. In order to counteract my desire to actually chew something I pulled out some delicious peppermint gum (is that cheating?).

I made another smoothie for Andrew's dinner (he wouldn't touch the rest of the green smoothie in the fridge). This time I made one of our favorites: Cinnamon Cherry. For some reason we've been on a cherry kick lately.

Both Andrew and I did suffer from some fatigue in the late afternoon. Mine didn't hit until after the gym, so maybe working out isn't the best thing to do on a cleanse. As far as other side effects: Andrew got a headache. I felt like I had a film covering my teeth and tongue even after brushing.

Andrew did a lot better on the gallon of water. He got all of his in, but I'm still sipping on water as I type this. It's going to be a long night. I might as well roll out a sleeping bag on the bathroom floor. We took two of Dr Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula capsules a few hours ago. Yep, it'll be a long night.

Day One Smoothie Recipes (as a side note, these recipes may not be exact - I tend not to measure, so these are my guesstimates):

A&W Signature Green
1/2 - 1 cup coconut water
1/2 - 1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup white grape juice (or one bunch of green grapes)
Handful baby spinach
Some kale
1 large carrot
1/4-1/2 cup cabbage
1/2 an orange
1 apple
Large chunk fresh pineapple
1/2 a lime, peeled
1/2 a banana, frozen
4 - 6 ice cubes

Cherry Coconut Green Smoothie
2 cups coconut water
Handful baby spinach
2 1/2 cups dark cherries, frozen
6 Strawberries, frozen
1/8 of a lemon

Hot Pink Smoothie
1 1/2 cups coconut water
1/2 a medium beet, peeled
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup chopped dates
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. hemp protein powder (optional)
12 frozen strawberries

Cinnamon Cherry Green Smoothie
1 cup coconut water
1 cup soy milk
Large handful baby spinach
2-3 cups dark cherries, frozen
5-6 strawberries, frozen
1/2 banana, frozen
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Some agave or honey, to taste
Water to help blend, as needed

Total water for the day: 48 oz
Total smoothie for the day: 131 oz

*P.S. Don't schedule a waxing appointment on the day of a cleanse it's just stupid and complicates things.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I'll have to try the cherry smoothie. I've been cheating all day if gum isn't allowed. I finally finished my package and am going clean and gumless today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's decided then, gum is not cheating. I don't know if I'm ready to give it up yet. You are so much better than me! The cherry smoothie is good. Let me know what you think after you make it.

      Delete
  2. I could not keep my mouth feeling clean and I could NOT stop thinking about food. I'm thinking about food as I type this. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're almost done! Soon we will be sitting out on your back porch eating some delicious BBQ... So glad you bought a grill. Dang, I just started thinking about grilled veggies and It made me a little sad that our BBQ isn’t tomorrow.

      Delete

Translate