Saturday, April 8, 2017

Quick and Easy Chana Masala (Chole)


Chana Masala - chickpea dish cooked in a spicy tomato gravy served with grilled zucchini, fresh campari tomatoes and naan 


Friday night, feeling lazy and uninspired. I look in the fridge...time to go grocery shopping. I look in the pantry and see a can of chickpeas that's been sitting there for months. I really should make something with that. Cue the internet search! I'd actually come across this recipe while searching for reviews on the best family camping tents and falling down the rabbit hole of related post clicking. After retracing those clicks I was able to find this recipe for Chana Masala here.

Since my spice drawer didn't produce any asafetida (Hing) and I didn't really know what it was or how to find an appropriate substitute, I googled it and found out that it adds a garlic and onion flavor. I just added some onion powder and garlic powder for that. Ground cumin was what I used in place of cumin seeds. And since I also don't keep besan (gram flour) on hand, I used the regular white flour that is in my pantry. Also, I wasn't sure if it mattered if the green chilies were fresh or not. I happened to have a can of chopped green chilies in the pantry. Boom. Problem solved. Remember what I said about feeling lazy?

The original recipe is probably far superior, but even with all my substitutions this came out great! My husband was a bit skeptical at first. When he walked in the kitchen he said "What smells like sweat?" Don't worry, that smell quickly turned into something delicious and non-sweat like.

 Chana Masala

Serves 2 to 4. Recipe adapted from ManjulaIngredients

1 15 oz can of chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 - 1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin (or cumin seeds if you have them)
1 tablespoon flour
1 large tomato chopped
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro (I used freeze dried just for color since I didn't have fresh on hand)
Thinly sliced tomatoes for garnish

  1. Drain chickpeas and wash well.
  2. Blend the tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree.
  3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. (If you are using cumin seeds: Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil ; if seed cracks right away, oil is ready.) Add the onion and garlic powder (or a pinch of asafetida) and cumin. When fragrant (quickly so spices don't burn) add the flour and stir-fry for a minute.
  4. Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, and red chili powder. Cook about four minutes on medium heat. The tomato mixture will separate from the oil and reduce to about half in quantity.
  5. Add chickpeas, salt, and one cup of water. Cook, covered, for seven to eight minutes on medium heat.
  6. Press a few of the chickpeas with a spatula to soften. Add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking, and let it cook on low heat a few more minutes.
  7. Add the garam masala and cilantro. Let it cook for another minute.
  8. Garnish with thin tomato slices.
Serving Suggestions:

Chana Masala goes well with any Indian flat bread or over plain rice.


I blended up the tomato, chilies, and ginger in our little magic bullet because I was too lazy to take out the vitamix!      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate